Monday 2 February 2009

and part 2...

On a slight high after all my work this week, I could not wait to put Lily together this weekend. Almost 4 months after starting part C of the instructions, I could finally able to assemble the house structure!

It didn't quite all go as planned.... All I will say is that these simple words:

Place house in upright position. Interlock left wall into first floor using respective tabs and slots. Once it is in place, interlock tabs and slots for second and third floors - (G). Interlock left wall tabs into front walls - (G). Set aside house structure.

Caused a whole heap of hassle!

Even with tabs and slots all cleaned out and sanded back, nothing seemed to fit. It took two of us the best part of two hours to get the house in some sort of order. Every floor twisted, the central partition twisted and the front wall was so curved across the center that it stood nearly 5mm away from the first floor tab! Glen bravely helped me and as we were wrestling the panels into place over half the external windows fell off as well; I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or throw the whole thing out of the window ....there was a great deal of swearing involved!

We also had to skip straight through to part E 1-7 and installed the partitions and stairs out of order and as and when we needed them to prop up/push down/straighten/etc. any other part of the building.

Glen then played Twister with the house whilst I started to glue tabs etc. We couldn't glue the front on immediately as we had masking tape holding the floors in place on the front side of the building. Once that glue was dried I turned the house onto it's back and glued and weighted the front wall down. I then put one side and the front of the bay to right the floors as they were still twisting up; oh and I glued the windows back on too! Finally I taped the porch floor into place as it was curling upwards.


No comments: